NEW JERSEY REGISTER
LAW AND PUBLIC SAFETY
DIVISION OF CONSUMER AFFAIRS
STATE BOARD OF MARRIAGE AND FAMILY THERAPY EXAMINERS
Adopted New Rules: N.J.A.C. 13:34-24
Proposed: November 4, 2002 at 34 N.J.R. 3686(a).
Adopted: February 13, 2003 by the State Board of Marriage and Family Therapy Examiners, Florence Schatten, President.
Filed: April 11, 2003 as R.2003 d.191, with a technical change not requiring additional public notice and comment (see N.J.A.C. 1:30-6.3).
Authority: N.J.S.A. 45:8B-13 and 45:8B-45.
Effective Date: May 5, 2003.
Federal Standards Statement
A Federal standards analysis is unnecessary as there are no Federal standards or requirements which address the subject matter. The Committee adopts these new rules pursuant to the State statutes governing the profession of rehabilitation counseling.
Full text of the adoption follows:
SUBCHAPTER 24. CONTINUING EDUCATON
<< NJ ADC 13:34-24.1 >>
13:34-24.1 License renewal and continuing education requirement
All licensed rehabilitation counselors shall complete 40 contacthours of continuing education for license renewal. The licensed rehabilitation counselor shall confirm on the renewal application that the licensee has completed all continuing education requirements pursuant to N.J.A.C. 13:34-24.1 and 24.2 during the biennial period preceding application for renewal. Except as set forth in N.J.A.C. 13:34-24.2, a rehabilitation counselor applying for renewal for the first renewal period following <<-(the effective date of these rules)->> <<+May 5, 2003+>> shall complete a minimum of 40 contact hours during that renewal period.
<< NJ ADC 13:34-24.2 >>
13:34-24.2 Contact-hour requirements for licensed rehabilitation counselors
(a) A rehabilitation counselor shall not be required to obtain continuing education contact hours required by N.J.A.C. 13:34-24.1 during the period of initial licensure prior to the rehabilitation counselor's first biennial renewal period, but shall be subject to the requirements of N.J.A.C. 13:34- 24.1 for all subsequent biennial renewal periods.
(b) A licensed rehabilitation counselor shall complete at least five of the 40 contact hours in ethical and legal standards in the rehabilitation counseling profession regardless of the number of contact hours accrued during the biennial period.
(c) If the licensed rehabilitation counselor earns more than 40 contact hours during a biennial period, the rehabilitation counselor may carry a maximum of 10 contact hours into the next succeeding biennial period.
<< NJ ADC 13:34-24.3 >>
13:34-24.3 Approval of courses or programs
(a) The following are acceptable sources of continuing education courses, programs and articles as long as the courses, programs or articles fall within the content areas set forth in (c) below or are directly related to rehabilitation counseling:
1. Courses or programs approved by the National Board for Certified Counselors; the American Counseling Association; the American Psychological Association; the American Psychiatric Association; the National Association of Social Workers; the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy; the Commission on Rehabilitation Counselors Certification; the American Orthopsychiatric Association; the American Medical Association; the American Nursing Association; the National Association of Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselors; and the member boards of the International Certification and Reciprocity Consortium/Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse, Inc.; or the Commission on Certification of Work Adjustment and Vocational Evaluation Specialists;
2. Teaching or completing graduate coursework at a regionally accredited institution of higher education;
3. Authoring a refereed article published in a professional journal within the preceding biennial period; and
4. Presentation of a course or program approved by one of the organizations listed at N.J.A.C. 13:34-24.3(a)1.
(b) Prior to seeking approval of continuing education credit from the Committee for attending or presenting a course or program that has not been approved by any of the organizations listed in (a)1 above, the rehabilitation counselor shall first apply to and obtain approval from one of the listed organizations.
(c) The following are acceptable content areas for continuing education:
1. Counseling practices, theories and techniques;
2. Personality theories;
3. Psychosocial aspects of disability;
4. Medical aspects of disability;
5. Evaluation and assessment;
6. Vocational aspects of disability;
7. Rehabilitation case management;
8. Research methods;
9. Practicums or internships; or
10. Ethical and legal standards in the rehabilitation counseling profession.
<< NJ ADC 13:34-24.4 >>
13:34-24.4 Continuing education credits and contact-hour calculation
(a) The Committee shall grant credit only for continuing education courses and programs that are at least one contact hour long and are directly related to rehabilitation counseling practice. For purposes of this subchapter, a "contact hour" means a 60-minute clock hour with no less than 50 minutes of content within the hour. Courses and programs may include one 10-minute break for each contact hour.
(b) A rehabilitation counselor shall complete and be able to verify the completion of a continuing education course, program or article as set forth in N.J.A.C. 13:34-24.3 in order to receive continuing education credit. The Committee shall grant a rehabilitation counselor continuing education credit for each biennial renewal period as follows:
1. Completing graduate coursework at a regionally accredited institution of higher education: 15 continuing education contact hours for each semester course credit awarded beyond the required educational standards which the rehabilitation counselor must complete for licensure as set forth in N.J.A.C. 13:34-21.2;
2. Teaching graduate courses offered at a regionally accredited institution of higher education: 15 continuing education contact hours for each semester course credit awarded for each new course which a rehabilitation counselor teaches. For the purposes of this subsection, "new" means a course that the rehabilitation counselor has not taught previously in any educational setting;
3. A refereed article published in a professional journal within the preceding biennial period: four continuing education contact hours per article with a maximum of eight contact hours per biennial period; and
4. Course or program presentation: one and one-half continuing education contact hours for each hour of a new offering up to a maximum of nine continuing education contact hours. For the purposes of this subsection, "new" means a course or program that the rehabilitation counselor has not previously presented.
<< NJ ADC 13:34-24.5 >>
13:34-24.5 Documentation of continuing education credit
(a) A rehabilitation counselor shall retain documentation of the continuing education hours which the rehabilitation counselor completes in order to verify program attendance or activity completion. Each rehabilitation counselor shall submit such documentation to the Committee upon its request. The Committee may periodically audit the records of rehabilitation counselors, on a random basis, to determine compliance with continuing education requirements of this subchapter.
(b) A rehabilitation counselor shall verify attendance at continuing education courses or programs by a certificate of attendance or by a statement from the course or program instructor. The verification shall include the name of the licensee, the name of the sponsor, the title, location and date of the course or program, the signature of a program official and the number of continuing education hours awarded.
(c) A rehabilitation counselor shall verify continuing education activities by retaining the following:
1. For publications, a copy of the published article;
2. For course or program presentations, copies of the program, syllabus, outlines and bibliographies;
3. For teaching, copies of the syllabus, bibliography, course outline and verification from the academic institution that the course was "new" as defined by N.J.A.C. 13:34-24.4(b)2; and
4. For graduate coursework, an official transcript.
(d) A rehabilitation counselor shall maintain verification documentation for five years following the renewal period for which the Committee has granted the rehabilitation counselor continuing education credit.
(e) Falsification of any information submitted with the renewal application or failure to meet the continuing education requirements may result in the Committee taking appropriate disciplinary measures, including suspension of license, pursuant to N.J.S.A. 45:1-21.
(f) The Committee may reject any continuing education contact hours claimed for continuing education credit that are not relevant to the practice of rehabilitation counseling in the State of New Jersey.
<< NJ ADC 13:34-24.6 >>
13:34-24.6 Waiver of continuing education requirements
(a) The Committee may waive continuing education requirements on an individual basis for reasons of hardship such as illness, disability, active service in the military or other good cause as established by the rehabilitation counselor.
(b) A rehabilitation counselor who seeks a waiver of the continuing education requirements shall provide to the Committee, in writing, the specific reasons for requesting the waiver and such additional documentation as the Committee may request in support of the waiver.
SUBCHAPTER 25. (RESERVED)