Skip to main navigationSkip to News Headlines
NJ Division of Consumer Affairs
Global Navigation
Division of Consumer Affairs
The State of New Jersey Office of The Attorney General (Dept. of Law & Public Safety) The State of New Jersey NJ Home Services A to Z Departments/Agencies OAG Frequently Asked Questions
OAG Home
OAG Contact
Division of Consumer Affairs Alerts and Recalls
Division of Consumer Affairs Alerts and Recalls
Office of the Attorney General Homepage Division of Consumer Affairs, Director
Division of Consumer Affairs, Director
Division of Alcoholic Beverage Control
Division of Consumer Affairs
Division of Consumer Affairs Highlights
Division of Consumer Affairs Topics in a A-Z List Format
Office of Consumer Protection (OCP)
New Jersey Bureau of Securities
Office of Weights and Measures
Legalized Games of Chance Control Commission
Alternative Dispute Resolution
Professions and Occupations List
Contact the Division of Consumer Affairs
Division of Consumer Affairs in Spanish
Division of Criminal Justice
Division on Civil Rights
Division of Gaming Enforcement
Division of Highway Traffic Safety
Division of Law
Juvenile Justice Commission
NJ Racing Commission
State Athletic Control Board
Division of NJ State Police
Victims of Crime Compensation Office
Subscribe to Buyer Beware Alerts
OPRA - Open Public Records Act
Download Free PDF Reader


Every organization interested in conducting bingo or raffles or allow its members to assist a licensed affiliated organization, must first apply to the Commission for eligibility. If the Commission determines that the applicant qualifies as a bona fide charitable, educational, religious, patriotic, public-spirited organization or senior citizen association or club it issues to it a registration certificate reflecting its identification number.

The Charitable Registration and Investigation Act of 1994 requires any group organized as a 501(c)(3) entity or which raises money for charitable purposes to register with the Charitable Registration and Investigation Section of the New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs. Please contact the Charities Unit at (973) 504-6215 or by clicking the above link.

Once registered with the Legalized Games of Chance Control Commission, the organization must file a license application(s) for each separate type of game of chance it intends to conduct from the appropriate municipality where the games are to be held. Upon doing so the organization must exhibit their identification card to the municipal clerk when submitting their license application.

Licenses are to be conspicuously displayed in the area/room where the games are held.

"Qualified organization" means a bona fide organization or association of veterans, religious congregation, religious organization, charitable organization, educational organization, fraternal organization, civic and service club, officially recognized volunteer fire company, officially recognized first aid squad, and officially recognized rescue squads, and senior citizens association or club.

"Registered organization" means an organization which has applied for, received and possesses a valid registration certificate bearing an identification number issued to it by the Legalized Games of Chance Control Commission. Only a registered organization is qualified, within the meaning of N.J.S.A. 5:8-60.3, to conduct raffles.

Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Legal Statement | Accessibility Statement
NJ Home Logo
Divisional: DCA Home | Complaint Forms | Proposals | Adoptions | Contact DCA
Departmental: OAG Home | Contact OAG | About OAG | OAG News | OAG FAQs
Statewide: NJ Home | Services A to Z | Departments/Agencies | FAQs
Copyright State of New Jersey
This page is maintained by DCA. Comments/Questions: email

Page last modified: